First days

January 27th, 2012 mfmccl13

After 21 hours on planes across the globe, I made it! Miraculously, my bags made it safe and sound, although some of the contents are a little worse for wear. The damages include a shattered mirror and exploding face wash, but all in all, I can’t complain! After arriving at our hotel for the evening (there are 9 of us here so far) and buying adaptors and phone cards, we went out to dinner at Mimmo’s Italian…wait, aren’t I supposed to be in Africa?! Well, the South Africans get my official Italian stamp of approval as they made great pizzas and pasta. Today, we are having a leisurely morning waiting for the rest of the group to arrive – 24 students total. We have a long drive ahead of us today to our first site, Pullen Farm. Hopefully I’ll have internet there and can email home!

I’ll be writing bits and pieces as I go and I’ll upload posts as I have internet available to me, so here’s an update! We are at our first site in Pullen Farm, which is just south of Kruger National Park. The sounds here are incredible – lots of bugs and frogs and birds! The stars tonight are completely breathtaking. Hopefully my camera and I will get along enough for me to get some sky shots.  That’s all for now – just lots of driving so far!!