Some animal sightings!

February 7th, 2012 mfmccl13

Written on 1/31/12

Hi Everyone!

The work has officially started, but so has the excitement!  We’ve had several days of history and culture lectures and we have finally begun the science!  Yesterday we had a lecture on the ecology of savannas, but the real treat from yesterday was in the walk I took…

Nelson Mandela had his long walk to freedom, well I had a long, very trying walk to animals.  Several students have come back from going for a run and claiming they found a zebra standing in the pathway in front of them, others saw a buffalo, and one of our lecturers claimed to have seen three giraffe.  Four of us decided that our lack of animal encounters in Africa was just unacceptable and we took matters into our own hands.  Equipped with cameras and binoculars (and soon to discover we wish we had brought water…sorry, Dad…) we set out in search of some African fauna.  Well, I am proud to say that my superb binocular skills saved the day.  I scanned the valley across from us and found three kudu running!  Not to be outdone by the kudu, several zebra came into view and we were beside ourselves with glee!  By the end of our 2 ½ hour walk around and into the valley, we were completely parched, but elated that we had seen so many cool animals.  Our total count came to about:

• 3 wildebeest
  • 30 zebra
  • 1 waterbuck
  • 3 kudu
  • 2-ish impala

Needless to say it was an awesome experience!!